Garlic: a history lesson
- Allium sativum, the scientific name for garlic, belongs to the genus allium, whose members include chives, onions, and leaks.
- Garlic was given to Olympians before competition in ancient Greece, making it possibly one of the world's oldest performance enhancing products.
- Several geographically isolated civilizations throughout ancient times used garlic for medicinal purposes.
- From ancient Sumeria to the modern day world, garlic has been, and is still used in cooking and as a medicine, dating back 7000 years.
- A daily diet for the ancient working class, garlic was said to maintain and even increase strength.
- Garlic is said to have originated in Middle Asia.